Friday, November 9, 2007

Bob's Not There


















The other night I was lucky enough to see the Dylan tribute concert at the Beacon Theater, a benefit/tribute thing that was as formless as Todd Haynes' much ballyhooed and forthcoming film I'm Not There promises to be. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see the film, I'm just not expecting much. The concert was kinda a big mess, but sprinkled with some outstanding performances by John Doe, Jim James, Dan Hicks, J. Mascis, Al Kooper, Calexico, and others. After a while, I was overcome by the feeling that I'd rather hear Dylan do these songs than the steady stream of performers that took the stage. Anyway, I've compiled a little playlist of recordings of Dylan covers: more versions of Bob Dylan done by others, I know. Somehow it's easier to take it at home. There's an endless well to choose from - literally thousands - here's a few interesting ones.

Have a good weekend.

Download:

"Like A Rolling Stone" mp3
by The Soup Greens, 1965.
available on Pebbles Volume 1

"It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" mp3
by Chris Farlowe, 1966.
available on Out Of Time

"Wallflower" mp3
by Doug Sahm with Bob Dylan, 1973.
available on The Best of Doug Sahm & Friends

"I Threw It All Away" mp3
by Yo La Tengo, 1987.
available on President Yo La Tengo/New Wave Hot Dogs

"Girl From North Country" mp3
by Link Wray, 1965.
available on The Swan Singles Collection

"Baby, I'm In The Mood For You" mp3
by Dion DiMucci, 1965.
available on King Of The New York Streets

"Going Going Gone" mp3
by Richard Hell and the Voidoids, 1982.
available on Destiny Street

"If You Gotta Go" mp3
by The Flying Burrito Brothers, 1970.
available on Burrito Deluxe

"I'll Keep It With Mine" mp3
by Fairport Convention, 1969.
available on Meet Me On The Ledge

"Kingsport Town" mp3
by Cat Power, 2000.
available on The Covers Record

"I Shall Be Released" mp3
by Nina Simone, 1969.
available on Sugar In My Bowl

"Mama You've Been On My Mind"
by Rod Stewart, 1972.
available on Never A Dull Moment

"Wallflower" mp3
by Buddy & Julie Miller, 2001
available on Buddy & Julie Miller

"It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"
mp3
by The 13th Floor Elevators, 1967.
available on Easter Everywhere

"Like A Rolling Pin" mp3
by The Replacements, 1990.
available on Don't Sell Or Buy, It's Crap
(out of print)

***********************************
BONUS
***********************************
"Baby, I'm In The Mood" mp3
"Dylan Story" mp3
by Dion, 2007
available on Son of Skip James

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I'll see the movie, but the soundtrack is surprisingly good. (I should note here that whilst I think Dylan is great, I am not of the opinion that he's God!) It's well worth a listen. The show at the Beacon sounds fun too. I hadn't heard about it, but then, gone are the days a I lived around the corner. Anyway, you've posted a great mix of covers.

As always, loving your blog. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

dylan is hugely overrated in my eyes, but this is a BRILLANT post, especially for the Dion track ... fantabulous, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Really not expecting much? Haynes has made one good movie after another, so I'd be surprised if this is a klinker.

Ted Barron said...

Let me just say I'm intrigued. It's not about Todd Haynes, it's about the impossible nature of the subject. Although, the obtuse approach through unlikely character portrayal might work. The image of Ewan Macgregor as Iggy Stooge in Velvet Goldmine left a bad taste in my mouth...