Monday, October 29, 2007

Porter Wagoner R.I.P.






















The management here in Fluville is saddened to learn the news of the passing of the great Porter Wagoner. I'm grateful that I did get to see him perform once about 10 years ago when the Opry was holding court at the old Ryman.

Here's a repost from April with some added tracks...














Download: "A Satisfied Mind" mp3
by Porter Wagoner, 1954.
available on The Essential Porter Wagoner















Download: "Itchin' For My Baby" mp3
by Porter Wagoner, 1954.

The birth of cosmic country music.

"A Satisfied Mind" mp3
by The Byrds, 1965.
available on Turn! Turn! Turn!

"A Satisfied Mind" mp3
by The International Submarine Band, 1967.
available on Safe At Home

























**** BONUS ****

"I'll Go Down Swinging" mp3
by Porter Wagoner, 1964.
available on The Essential Porter Wagoner

"Green, Green Grass of Home" mp3
by Porter Wagoner, 1965.
available on The Essential Porter Wagoner

"The Carroll County Accident" mp3
by Porter Wagoner, 1967.
available on The Essential Porter Wagoner

"The Cold Hard Facts of Life" mp3
by Porter Wagoner, 1967.
available on Rubber Room

"The Rubber Room" mp3
by Porter Wagoner, 1972.
available on Rubber Room

"Committed To Parkview" mp3
by Porter Wagoner, 2007.
available on Wagonmaster

****************************

"Hey, Porter!" mp3
by Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two, 1955.
available on With His Hot And Blue Guitar

"Rubber Room" mp3
by Alex Chilton, 1987.
available on High Priest

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Porter was able to connect with a whole new generation of fans before he passed. His new Marty Stuart-produced album is fantastic, he left on an up note. My condolences to his friends and family.

Anonymous said...

"The Rubber Room" has to be about the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Wow. Had to say it. Anyway, thanks for posting this stuff. I'm a big fan of old country music, but never really explored the Porter Wagoner catalog.

P.S. Love your website, which I just found through a link from the Rising Storm.

Anonymous said...

I remember Porter's syndicated TV show; it was a favorite in our house when I was growing up.

And I agree with Paul: "The Rubber Room" is one of the WEIRDEST songs ever released.