Friday, July 25, 2008

Mats Reissues




Folks, I've got no time for blogging right now. I do however have the first four Replacements reissues sitting here (thanks PJ) chock full of bonus cuts and extensive liner notes and have been enjoying them thoroughly. I can't wait for the next round due in September. The thing that strikes me the most is how great they were right out of the gate. That, and Paul Westerberg's unlikely and prodigious talent as a songwriter in a punk rock band. So with that said, I've compiled a little post here starting with the two tracks from their first single. The non LP b-side, "If Only You Were Lonely" was recorded late one night on the fly without the band. Westerberg made several home demos on guitar and piano of songs that the band wouldn't play. Here's a few of them. Among those, an early version of "Answering Machine" and a couple more that didn't make it to the reissues.


Download:

"I'm In Trouble" mp3
"If Only You Were Lonely" mp3
by The Replacements, 1981.
available on Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash

"You're Getting Married" mp3
by Paul Westerberg, 1982.
available on Stink

"Bad Worker" mp3
by Paul Westerberg, 1983.
available on Hootenanny

"Answering Machine" mp3
by Paul Westerberg, 1984.
available on Let It Be

**************************

"It's Hard to Wave In Handcuffs" mp3
by Paul Westerberg, 1983.
available on Unintentionally
bootleg

"A Little Bit Drunk #3" mp3
by Paul Westerberg, 1983.
available on Unintentionally
bootleg

6 comments:

Nazz Nomad said...

Westerberg has got a new collection of music. It's being sold on Amazon for 49 cents.
Yep, 49 cents!


everyone can afford 49 cents!

Anonymous said...

Man, I love that song "If Only You Were Lonely." Used to stagger around Ann Arbor strumming that one on my guitar back in the college days. Good stuff.

C. said...

Ted--

I read somewhere that there were weird edits and other problems w/the new "Let It Be" reisssue--did you notice anything off?

I've got it on LP, so if they've monkeyed with it in some way, I'll just remain analog.

c.

Ted Barron said...

Chris,

I've probably heard some of these songs a few hundred times, and this is the third time I've owned this one.I haven't noticed anything obvious. The first CD issue of this always sounded flat and muddy to me,supporting the myth that the masters were thrown in the Mississippi River. This one is bright - I don't know maybe It's cleaned up, but the alternate version of Sixteen Blue and the cover of the DeFranco Family's "Heartbeat, It's A Lovebeat" are alone worth the price of admission.

Ted

Anonymous said...

Day two of wandering around your blog. I realize you posted this 100 years ago, but I just wanted to say thanks. I can't get enough of the mats. I was at a Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson show at a little hole in the wall bar in St.Paul recently and he closed with Here Comes A Regular and on my face was a big ol grin. Sort of like now =)

James said...

Late to the party, I know. But hey, do you have the complete "Unintentionally" sessions? Posted what I had to my blog recently and have just learned that it's not the whole thing...

If so, maybe you could email me at popheadwound@gmail.com?