Friday, September 14, 2007

Midnight























Most of these posts here at the flu are composed in the middle of the night. I've always been nocturnal, and those who know me know I don't sleep much. I get some of my best work done in the middle of the night. Here's a group of songs that reference the witching hour.

It's late now. I'm going to bed.




















Download: "Ooh Midnight" mp3
by Pete "Guitar" Lewis, 1952.
available on Midnight at the Barrelhouse

more PGL Here and Here



















Download: "Wee Wee Hours" mp3
by Chuck Berry, 1955.
available on Blues



















Download: "Rocking After Midnight" mp3
by Lowell Fulson, 1949.
Available on Lowell Fulson: 1946-1953



















Download: "The Midnite Man" mp3
by Bill Justis, 1957.
available on Raunchy: The Very Best of Bill Justis
























Download: "Midnite Blues" mp3
by Charlie Rich, 1962.
available on Sun Sessions


****************** BONUS *********************

Download:

"Midnight" mp3
by Bob Dylan, 2006
Theme Time Radio Hour 24: Time

"Midnight Train" mp3
by Bob Dylan, 1965.
available on Dimestore Medicine

"Old Angel Midnight" mp3
by Jack Kerouac with Steve Allen, 1958.
available on The Jack Kerouac Collection

photograph: Kit, Paris, 1995. © Ted Barron

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just love that Pete Lewis! Sleaziest sound around. Thanks!

Ted Barron said...

I'm glad to spread the sleaze.

muse said...

Loved the selections! I wonder how many songs have been written and recorded about the midnight hour?

I remember a country song called, "Midnight Oil" I even think it may be on my jukebox.

Meghan McKee said...

hope you don't mind... but i need to snag some of these great songs for my podcast. I am planning a midnight theme show... and these are great older options for me.... I'll say a big thanks to you for it too!

Anonymous said...

Loving some of the sweet albumn covers