Thursday, May 10, 2007

Memphis Flu















Well folks, I'm gonna be out of town for the next several days, in Memphis TN, the jewel of the mid-south and one of my favorite places. So, feeling a strange obligation to keep all of you readers amused, I've compiled a little playlist of songs concerning Memphis. None of these mp3's are from actual records (i.e. 78's or 45's) like in my ordinary posts, but they're all good and I'm sure some of will you prefer the less noisy recordings. Plus, it's really a bitch to find a copy of Mott The Hoople on 78. There were several ways I could have approached this, considering the plethora of great music recorded in Memphis' studios, (Stax, Hi, American, Sun, Easley, Ardent, etc.), or songs mentioning Memphis ("Honky Tonk Women"). Instead, I've opted for the easy and painless (search title) option of itunes. There are omissions and things I don't have, but I think these selections are just fine.

Please Enjoy.

"I'm Going To Memphis" by Johnny Cash
Unearthed, 2003.

"That's How I Got To Memphis"
by Tom T. Hall
Ballad Of Forty Dollars, 1968.

"Raining In Memphis" by Dan Penn
Nobody's Fool, 1973.

"All The Way From Memphis" by Mott The Hoople
Mott, 1973.

"Memphis And Arkansas Bridge" by Charlie Rich
Boss Man, 1970.

"Memphis Yodel"
by Jimmie Rodgers
First Sessions, 1928.

"Night Train To Memphis"
by Roy Acuff
The Essential Roy Acuff: 1936-1949 1943.

"The Memphis Train" by Rufus Thomas
The Complete Stax/Volt Singles 1959-1968, 1968.

"Well, I've Been To Memphis"
by David Johansen
David Johansen And The Harry Smiths, 2000.

"Memphis Tennessee"
by Jerry Lawler
It Came From Memphis Volume 2, 1975.

"Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again" by Bob Dylan
Blonde On Blonde, 1966.

******** Additional Track at THIS POST *********

Buy these records at your local independently owned record store.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done with the excellent choices....never been to America, Memphis sounds the most appealing

Ted Barron said...

thanks link. is that your name? it's my son's name. short for lincoln.

david j said...

great post, but no Walkin' in Memphis? from Marc Cohn, I even like Cher's version of that one.

sroden said...

have a great trip! and ixne on the erche....

Anonymous said...

Ted, I discovered your blog today and spent the whole day reading and listening to your fine selection of interesting music. Thanks for that wonderful day. I hope you have a nice trip to Memphis.

Bobby D. said...

I like several of theses Memphis songs--but guess which one is my favorite?

And one was used by Scorsese in the film "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" I think that is the title--anyway it was perfect

Ted Barron said...

that would be Mott...